TRAINING OPEN FOR BOOMERS LEADING CHANGE VOLUNTEERS, EXPERIENCED ENGAGED FELLOWS AND EARLY CHILDHOOD VOLUNTEERS ONLY!
Boomers Leading Change’s Volunteer Training has been developed and is facilitated by experts in the community. It does not matter in which order you take the courses True Colors, Diversity Equity and Inclusion, Mental Health First Aid and Motivational Interviewing. Each of these courses will be offered 2-3 times per year. You as the volunteer will then be able to apply your real world experience in the field to the skills, strategies and information provided in the four modules.
Note: It is required to take Motivational Interviewing, True Colors and Diversity Equity and Inclusion courses prior to taking the Health Navigation Course.
Boomers Leading Change’s Motivational Interviewing Course presented by Katie Langland, MA
Motivational Interviewing Description:
In this course we will focus on the importance of creating a safe environment of rapport and respect for your clients. It is a collaborative approach that focuses on the clients strengths, goals and desires in making positive change.
- Describe M.I. as a strengths-based modality
- Explain how affirmations and empathy are “relationship builders”
- Identify basic skills of Open-Ended Questions, Affirmations, Reflections, and Summaries (OARS)
- Discuss ambivalence and tactics to enhance client motivation
- Practice basic components in role plays
- Self-paced learning and instructor led Zoom session
- Two Zoom sessions – Tuesday April 20 and Thursday April 22 from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. MT (Must be able to attend both)
- Required for all Boomers Leading Change Volunteers, Early Childhood Education Volunteers and Experienced Engaged Fellows
- Required to have this course prior to taking Health Navigator Training
- Once registered you will receive an email with more information at least 2 weeks before the first instructor led Zoom session
Questions? Please contact Shannon Randall (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Training Manager or call 303-396-0389.
- April 20, 2021 - April 22, 2021
9:00 am - 11:30 am
Venue: Canvas and Zoom BLC Online