This class will provide you with an overview of the skills you will need as a volunteer to impact underserved populations, addressing health care access, issues of healthy living and literacy. As a patient navigator, community health worker or in other roles, you will be equipped to help individuals and families overcome barriers and connect to vital resources.
Class dates: May 15 to 19, 2017
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Location: Red Rocks Community College 13300 W. 6th Ave. Lakewood, CO 80228
BLC Volunteers and AmeriCorps Members register at no cost with promotion code ‘volunteer’
This 5 day course will help you build the skills you need to be a more confident, informed, and empowered healthcare consumer as well as volunteer contributor toward enhancing healthy living.
Below is an overview of topics we’ll cover:
- History & Overview of the role of patient navigators
- Social determinants of health/ Poverty and its impact on access to healthcare
- Cultural competency
- Personality profile assessment
- Motivational Interviewing
- Healthcare topics:
- Healthcare Law and Ethics (including HIPAA rules)
- Coverage: Medicare/Medicaid, Affordable Care Act
- Resource/Benefit overview & navigation
You must have completed the Boomers Leading Change Volunteer Registration Questionnaire and Aptitude Assessment in order to register for this class.
Boomers Leading Change will provide water and snacks. There will be a half-hour break for lunch. Please bring your “brown bag” meal to eat at the site (time does not allow leaving to get lunch)
For more information, please contact Shannon Randall (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Outreach and Training Manager or call 303-426-6637.
- May 15, 2017 - May 19, 2017
8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Venue: Red Rocks Community College